Manufacturers produce something tangible, usually something you can see and touch. They are skilled experts in their industry. However, they may not be expert at promoting their brand, products, people, or position as an influential employer. They may view public relations as insubstantial, or “fluff.” It’s true that PR can be art, but science is also involved (or at least distinct strategy). For most businesses, it is also essential for continued growth.
So here is my advice: Hire the best manufacturing PR firm you can get for a reasonable retainer, a team that cares about your company and will work hard to help you thrive. It won’t happen overnight, but if you work with experts like Ripley PR, you will see measurable results.
The right public relations team can help you engage with your community, encourage positive media coverage, recruit quality employees, and handle a crisis if one does arise.
Manufacturing is finally experiencing a resurgence in the U.S., one that is expected to continue through at least 2021. Now is the time to take advantage of this renaissance to solidify or enhance your brand.
Here are some things an experienced manufacturing public relations firm can offer:
- Branding strategy- You may think you have one, but if it isn’t on paper with key messages that you actually use consistently across all platforms, your image may not be as polished or effective as you believe.
- Crisis communication plan– It’s essential to think through potential crises before they arise and draft an intuitive plan that identifies decisionmakers and response procedures. If done correctly, these can prevent some crises from occurring in the first place.
- Press releases– These may not seem impactful, but when written with an eye for a compelling story and journalistic standards, press releases are an effective way to spread the word about company news like product updates, initiatives, growth, new employees or industry tips.
- Media relations– A key part of what your PR team will do is craft story ideas and reach out to the media on your behalf. They should vigorously pursue opportunities to positively promote your brand. For a manufacturer, a great deal of that would be securing articles in trade publications that will attract new clients.
- Recruiting – A competent PR agency can help position your company as an excellent career choice and employ specific tactics for filling one to one hundred jobs.
- Content generation – Your team can help with social media posts, blogs, and newsletters. Blogs can help with search engine optimization. Newsletters can be used to reach your clients, potential investors, or employees. Posting on social media is essential to maintain relevance, and it’s critical to have someone wise at the helm to manage your image online.